Mount Agung’s emergency alert status has been extended until 15 October 2017, considering the tendency of increased volcanic activity. This extended emergency alert status was stated by the Head of BNPB (National Agency for Disaster Management), Willem Rampangilei in the press statement at the command post of Mount Agung’s Emergency Management Base, on Thursday (5/10).
Until Thursday (5/10) at 6 pm ICST, a total of 146,797 evacuees has been relocated to over 427 points in 9 regencies. The significant increase in evacuees was due to psychological factor community in the vicinity who felt threatened, and evacuate even though their locations were safe.
The government has conducted briefings to provide information on the perimeter of dangerous zone to ensure the safety of people who lives around Mount Agung.
The Head of BNPB further said that currently 28 villages were included in the danger zone. The Government, therefore, appeal to people living outside the 28 villages to immediately return to their homes.
The Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG), the Geological Agency of the Ministry for Energy and Mineral Resources has set 9 km as the dangerous-prone zone and 12 km as the sectoral dangerous zone.
The 9 km radius zone would be affected by volcanic materials released in case of eruption. Whereas the 12 km radius zone is the area that would be affected by volcanic ash which would be hazardous for the health.
The Governor of Bali, I Made Mangku Pastika, asked the public to view this increased activity of Mount Agung properly. An overreaction to the situation might disrupt the tourism sector and created unnecessary fear for Balinese people.
Based on its geographical location, Mount Agung located far from the dense population area of Bali Island. Out of 78 villages in Karangasem Regency, there are only 14 villages that directly affected by the possibility of eruption so far. The other 64 villages are declared within the safe zone for residents and tourists.
He said that the current condition could not be compared with Mount Agung’s situation in 1963. This time, the Center of Volcanology has adequate equipment to monitor the situation of Mount Agung and right now Indonesia has a special agency to mitigate any disaster in the country.
According to the Head of the Center of Data, Information and Public Relations of BNPB, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the latest situation on Mount Agung can be accessed through the following website and social media: